Our approach to health and safety is driven from the top down by company owner, James Craw. He fully understands the importance of health and safety and ensures no other aspect of our business is rated more highly. Led by James, and adopted by our entire team as a priority, our approach to health and safety is industry-leading. We are focused on:
• Compliance with all relevant legislation, regulations and codes of practice for the industry;
• Ensuring all our staff are trained, competent, accountable and fully committed to health and safety;
• Encouraging participation in health and safety initiatives at all levels of JCL Asphalt’s business;
• Consistently striving to eliminate work-related injuries and illnesses by proactively managing hazards;
• Aligning ourselves with organisations such as Civil Contractors New Zealand, Sitewise and ConstructSafe and with initiatives such as the Canterbury Rebuild Safety Charter. (These provide us with access to shared learnings and industry-leading health and safety resources).
Health and safety is at the heart of everything we do. As part of our commitment to being at the forefront of safety and well-being in our industry. We’ve already achieved:
• Sitewise Green accreditation;
• Organisational health and safety pre-qualification for Christchurch City Council, SCIRT and contractors such as Fulton Hogan, CityCare, Fletcher and McConnell Dowell;
• Accreditation as a Public Testing Centre for ConstructSafe, as part of a national initiative of the Construction Safety Council. As a test site, we will train and assess staff – both from JCL Asphalt and external organisations.
We invest significantly in health and safety to keep our worksites and work places safe for our own people and the subcontractors, guests and members of the public who visit them. Our goal is to achieve health and safety which is best practice, now, but also to continuously evolve this, so we are leaders in our industry.
Whatever the task or situation, if we can’t do it safely, we won’t do it. Our unrelenting focus is to build a health and safety culture where all hazards are controlled and injuries are eliminated.